Hi, I’m Alan, and I Write About Buddhism.
- If you are looking to understand Modern Buddhism in an easy and fun way, along with my experiences, you have come to the right place!
- If you are new to Buddhism, I would recommend you start with my intro article Buddhism, a Quick Intro, and also check out my most popular article Top 5 Books for Buddhist Newbies.
- Explore! In my articles, you will find new ways of looking at Buddhist teachings, ideas, issues, and scripture as it relates to our modern world. Use my topic index and search page to find articles you will enjoy.
- Why This Site? As a Buddhist living in the West, I wanted to understand Buddhism in a way that makes sense for me (and likely you as well). In a way this site is really for me to collect my thoughts, but it is (of course) also for you so we can all share in the Dharma joy!
Who Am I?
- I have been a Buddhist for over 30 years in Theravada and various schools in Mahayana. I officially took refuge at Hsi Lai Temple in 2012 (my Dharma name is “Pu Li”), and the Five Precepts in 2017. I plan on taking the Bodhisattva vows in 2018. I am a Mahayana Buddhist (Humanistic Buddhism), and that is often reflected in my articles (although I always attempt to include all sides).
- I am a Buddhist layperson, not a Buddhist monastic or theologian. My articles are my personal experiences, opinions, research, thoughts, and insight, which I share with others. You are free to read them, or not 😉 Learn more in my legal notices and disclaimers.
- My spiritual Dharma teachers are Ven. Master Hsing Yun (pronounced: Sing · Yoon) and Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh (pronounced: Tik · N’yat · Hawn). You will likely find a lot of their quotes, teachings, and books in my articles. However I enjoy a wide variety of teachings from those of many different schools in Buddhism.
- Let’s keep in touch! Be sure to sign up to receive email notifications of new articles, and follow me on social media.
Have a question, concern, idea, or suggestion? I would love to hear from you! Even though I get a lot of emails, I will do my best to contact you as soon as possible. You can also reach me on social media. If you have a legal or copyright concern, please put that in the subject line. Please click the “Submit” button once…it may take a few seconds for your message to be sent, and a confirmation message will appear when successful.