Hi, I’m Alan, and I Write About Buddhism.
- If you are looking to understand Buddhism in an easy and fun way, along with my experiences, you have come to the right place!
- If you are new to Buddhism, I would recommend you start with my intro article Buddhism, a Quick Intro, and also check out my most popular article Top 5 Books for Buddhist Newbies. You can find all of my “Basics in Buddhism“ series of articles by clicking here.
- What is this site all about? As a Buddhist living in the West, I wanted to understand Buddhism in a way that makes sense for me (and likely you as well) in our modern world. My goal is to create articles, graphics, and videos so everyone can gain a better understanding of Buddhism! Most of my articles focus around Modern Buddhism (“Humanistic Buddhism”), however I try to cover as many views as possible.
- If you can’t find what you are looking for, or have a question, use the contact form at the bottom of this page to send me a message.
Who Am I?
- I have been a Buddhist for over 30 years in Theravada and various schools in Mahayana. I officially took refuge at Hsi Lai Temple in 2012 (my Dharma name is “Pu Li”), and the Five Precepts in 2017. I plan on taking the Bodhisattva vows in 2018. I am a Mahayana Buddhist (Humanistic Buddhism), and that is often reflected in my articles (although I always attempt to include all sides).
- I am a Buddhist layperson, not a Buddhist monastic or theologian. My articles are my personal experiences, opinions, research, thoughts, and insight, which I share with others. You may not always agree with me or my thoughts, and that is OK 😉 Learn more in my legal notices and disclaimers.
- My spiritual Dharma teachers are Ven. Master Hsing Yun and Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh. You will likely find a lot of their quotes, teachings, and books in my articles. However I enjoy a wide variety of teachings from those of many different schools in Buddhism.
- Let’s keep in touch! Be sure to sign up to receive email notifications of new articles, and follow me on social media.
Have a question, concern, idea, or suggestion? I would love to hear from you! Even though I get a lot of emails, I will do my best to contact you as soon as possible. You can also reach me on social media. If you have a legal or copyright concern, please put that in the subject line. Please click the “Submit” button once…it may take a few seconds for your message to be sent, and a confirmation message will appear when successful.